Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Final Scene: The Explanation

Throughout the whole movie of Unforgiven directed by Clint Eastwood I kept asking myself where is this showdown, when does good fight evil, when is the intense shooting going to take place? Finally all my questions were answered with the final scene of the movie. 

As I break down the final scene I realize a number of things that caught my eye. The first is that like any other western, the main character never flinches, showing signs of bravery like a traditional western hero would. The second is the luck of Munny throughout the scene, now I know in your classic western the main character usually always wins, but I believe he was able to kill 6 or 7 men before one of them kills him. Although unrealistic something about the scene made me think more of Munny, perhaps its the David vs Galioth type of battle but it sure was good. And finally the final quote from Munny.
"Deserves got nothin to do with it"
. This quote made the movie in a lot of peoples mind. Wow is that powerful. It pretty much sums up the entire thought process of Munny before he kills a man. Whether its right or wrong, your now able to realize how he able to do the things he do and be okay with it, something niether the schofield kid or ned could do. 

1 comment:

Megan's Blog said...

I love how you started this post, although its only a blog it made me want to keep reading. About the last line of the movie, so true. It sums up everything, gives the movie a great ending and pretty much tells you what the whole movie was about and aiming for. It's like the definition of the title right there in the last line of the film.